Saturday, October 9, 2010

NaNoWriMo


Alas.

Since about a month after this time last year I have had in my calendar a reminder to myself to sign up for NaNoWriMo.  I should have also included a note to not make it NaNoWriMo+KneeMo.  Here's the deal.  The very day NaNoWriMo begins is the day I'm scheduled to have carpentry work done on my knee  -- November 1.

NOTE:  People who are in the knee surgery game seem to relish referring to the procedure as "carpentry work."  This appears to amuse them.  An otherwise very kind lady I've spoken to about scheduling and details for my operation said, and I quote, "You're not going to want to listen to that so they'll give you something to make you sleepy."  Listen to that???  I am so counting on mass quantities of La-La-Go-Away Juice for this whole thing.  If I don't get enough to keep the worst junkie I've ever heard of (which would be Dr. House, of course) happy and relaxed, I'm going to whine....so much.

Back to NaNo.  Here's the deal as I understand it:  To participate you sign up (free/donations accepted) and commit to writing a 50,000 word novel between Nov1 and Nov 30.  The understanding is that a grand portion of what you write will be crap. Total crap. But the dream is that the spirit of the endeavor will advance your progress as a writer and connect you to the community of crazy folk who just can't help themselves when it comes to writing.

I want to go to there.  And I want to encourage you to do the same.  C'mon.  Jump in.  It'll be ... fun!!!  Here's the jumping in place:  http://www.nanowrimo.org/ It's the headquarters of rah, rah congeniality and incentivization.  The sponsoring organization of NaNoWriMo is a called The Office of Letters and Light.  How ridiculously cool AND literary is that? You have to at least watch their video.  I love them all and I never even met them.  I mean who says, by way of introduction, "If I were a marmot I would be a Himalayan marmot, also known as the Tibetan Snow Pig"?  A guy I could worship, that's who.   

I know you, my blogger/reader/friends.  A bunch of you are public writers.  Are secret writers.  Are incipient writers.  Are "no,  not ME, I could never...." liar writers. All of us could use a little shove.  A chance to go nuts upon the page.  And my Artist's Way friends?  Lord almighty.  We could blow Julia Cameron right out of the water with these "morning pages," am I right or am I right? 

So here's what I'm planning.  I'm planning to sign up.  I have figured out that like a lot of commitments in life, this one is (gasp) completely up to me/you.  If I'm too La La Juiced for the whole month of Nov to participate, well, hey, uh, wow, Mmmmm, far out.... and so on.  I'll just loll about droning "NaNoNaNo" and people will say, "Isn't she cute?  Kind of reminds me of House, only sweeter."

I'm also holding myself up as an example here.  As an encourager of you my reader/writers.  I expect you to say to yourselves, when courage flags, "Annie signed up to do this and she's having knee carpentry.  What a [fill in the blank]!"  I prefer [saint] or [glorious inspiration] but it's your blank. You can write [moron] if you like.

So, let's go team.  Put me in, Coach.  Win this one for The Gimper.

I promise.  It'll change your life.

3 comments:

  1. Here's a news flash: If you go into a Google search box and type 50,000/30= You get the answer (which, as an aside, I'd like to point out has 666 in it TWICE) but MORE IMPORTANT the very first link that comes up is about NaNoWriMo. We're not alone, people. Others, many others, are going, "1,666.66667??? On Thanksgiving, too???"

    Proceed with courage and insouciance, my compatriots. Viv, this means you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi and welcome back . . . and a what!? In 50,000 words in 30 days?-- a novel?? (noting exclamatory punctuation) Yaow, my engine ain't tuned to run like that... unless you really, really, really aim to give me a kick -- and a kick start.

    Tag team, anyone? Can I write tandem with you peddling the front? Didn't think so!

    Are you planning to start from absolute GO, scratch, nada on the page/screen. See how panicky I sound. I think I'll go out for a bike ride and contemplate... the turtle's navel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CAPTCHA: stult -- overwrought, how it feels to be challenged beyond words.

    2nd CAPTCHA: kwal - to creep online -- I'm going to kwal away now

    ReplyDelete